Friday, April 1, 2011

Deceptively Delicious April Fool's Food Pranks

Happy April Fool’s Day!  My sister-in-law, Dawn, is the queen of April Fool’s food pranks in the family.  Every year, she tricks her kids with meals and desserts that look like the real thing!  I can not wait until the day that I can fool my little guy but for the time being, I thought it would be fun to try it out on my parents and brother.  My mom came home from work starving so the “grilled cheese” I served her looked very appetizing. You should have seen her face when she bit into that sandwich and realized it was cake! I was literally on the floor laughing! 
Since my parents were home to see me make the meatloaf cupcakes, I couldn’t fool them but I had my next victim in mind, my brother!  I set the stage by sending him a text while he was in school to let him know I made cupcakes.  With his sweet tooth, I can only image how he looked forward to getting home, pouring himself a nice glass of cold milk and biting into what he thought to be a cupcake.  Unfortunately, I was not home to witness his facial expression as he bit into that “cupcake” but I received sweet satisfaction in the form of a text he sent later in the evening saying “lol u got me xD”.  That’s all I needed to hear!  My early April Fool’s Prank was a success.  Here is how I pulled it off:






Meatloaf and Mashed Potato Cupcakes


What you will need for 12 cupcakes:
Turkey Meatloaf:
  • 1 envelope of Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup and Dip Mix
  • I lb. of ground turkey
  • 1/4 cup of an onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cup of bread crumbs
  • 3/4 cup of water
  • 1/3 cup of ketchup
  • 1 egg
Mashed Potatoes:
  • 8 oz packet of Idahoan Original Mashed Potatoes
  • 2 2/3 cups of water
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 4 tablespoon of butter or butter substitute
  • 1 cup of milk
Garnish:
  • Orange Bell Pepper
Hardware:
  • 12 muffin tin
  • 12 foil cupcake liners
  • Large bowl
  • Small plastic bag
  • Vegetable peeler


Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  • Insert the cupcake liners into the muffin pan slots.
  • Combine the meat, onion, onion mix, bread crumbs, egg, water and ketchup in a large bowl.
  • Take small handful of the meat mixture and shape it into 12 balls.

  • Place the meat “balls” into each into the 12 cupcake liners and gently press down so that the mixture fills the liner.
  • Bake for about an hour.  
Prepare Mashed potatoes according to packet:
  • Bring the 2 2/3 cups of water, 1 teaspoon of salt and 4 tablespoon of butter to a boil. Remove from heat.
  • Add one cup of cold milk and stir in potatoes gently. To achieve a smooth consistency, add more milk.
Frosting the cupcakes:
  • Scoop the mashed potatoes into a small plastic bag and cut a small corner off. 
  • Squeeze the “frosting” onto the cupcakes in a spiral motion to completely cover them.

Prepare the garnish:
  • Peel the skin of the pepper with the vegetable peeler and slice the peel into long thin strips.

  • Curl the strips with your finger.
  • Garnish the cupcake with the curled orange pepper skin.



Pound Cake Grilled Cheese



What you will need:




  • Pound cake, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup of your favorite frosting
  • Yellow and red food coloring
  • 16 oz container of your favorite white frosting
  • 1/2 teaspoon of whipped butter or butter substitute
Hardware:

  • Frying pan
  • Small bowl

Directions:

Color the frosting orange:
  • Scoop out half of the container of frosting into a small bowl.
  • According to my box of food coloring, I squeezed 6 drops of yellow food coloring and 2 drops of red coloring to make orange. Stir and continue adding drops of the appropriate color to obtain the shade of orange that resembles American cheese.

Grill the pound cake:
  • Heat up the frying pan.
  • If the pound cake is not precut, cut it into thin slices.
  • Take two slices and butter one side of each slice.

  • Place the buttered side down on the frying pan.

  • Once the pound cake is nicely browned, spread the colored frosting on the other side.
  • Lay the other slice down on top of the frosting, browned-side up. 
  • Gently press down on the sandwich to make the frosting ooze out to look like melted cheese and cut it in half. 
  • Serve and enjoy the reaction!


You can find more fun pranks like these at Family Fun.  What are some of the food pranks you played on someone? I would love to hear your April Fool’s food prank stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment